You know a vegan recipe is pretty bomb when a non-vegan can’t stop eating it. And this recipe is pretty bomb.
I’m not a vegan by any means, but I respect the diet and make the effort to eliminate animal products when I can. My boyfriend isn’t a vegan either and makes no effort to avoid animal products. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, it’s not really his cup of tea.
And when I told him I made a “vegan” dessert, his face shriveled up like he was smelling ammonia….how dramatic.
Fast forward to a few hours later and with about 4 bites already in his mouth he attempts to ask, “So these are healthy…right?!”
I mean yea there’s no added sugar nor any animal products, but I definitely don’t recommend making these the norm in your healthy lifestyle. But as a yummy dessert for a special occasion, or if you’re reallyyyyy craving something sweet, these may be my new personal go-t0.
3 cups of crushed graham crackers (I used these which are confirmed vegan)
1 cup melted vegan butter (Melt Organic Butter Spread is my absolute favorite)
2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips (dairy free)
1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
1/4 cup + 1 tbsp coconut oil
1/4 cup real maple syrup
2 tbsp almond butter
pink Himalayan salt or sea salt
- To make your caramel sauce, melt the 1/4 cup of coconut oil and maple syrup in the microwave for about 30-60 seconds, or until your coconut oil has taken on a fully liquid form. Whisk or stir in the 2 tbsp of almond butter. Once your sauce has taken on a smooth texture, set aside to cool.
- Take a baking dish at least 2 inches deep, I used a glass Pyrex, and line it with aluminum foil. This will make it much easier to remove your final product onto a cutting board.
- In a large mixing bowl combine your crushed graham crackers and melted butter evenly. I crushed about 15 graham crackers in a large zip-loc bag to get 3 cups. Once the crumbs and butter are evenly mixed, press the crust onto the bottom of the baking dish making your bottom layer
- Rinse the same bowl if you’re like me and don’t want to dirty another, then pour your 2 cups of chocolate chips straight in.
- Over the stove, combine the 1/2 cup of coconut milk and 1 tbsp of coconut butter. Bring it to a simmer/light boil. Once there, remove from the heat and pour over the chocolate chips. Let it sit for a minute or 2 before stirring to fully melt the chocolate.
- Once you have a smooth texture, pour the chocolate over your graham cracker crust. Try to make this layer as even as possible.
- Finally, drizzle your caramel sauce all over your chocolate and sprinkle the salt on top. Refrigerate for about 2 hours, or until chocolate has hardened.
- Cut into desired size bites and voi la! you’re finished!